It happens to the best of us. We expect things that never come. We hope for rewards that never show. We anticipate great things to follow us ALL the days of our lives. Well, what happens when the storm comes after the sun? What happens when you fall short of your reward? What happens when “your year” turns into a heap of shambles? Is it punishment for your wrongdoings? Is it inevitable karma? Nope, it’s just…life. And life brings sunshine and a whole lot of happiness. But, there’s also hurricanes and a pit of disappointments as well.
I could go on and on about disappointments all day, because they’re existent to everyone. But how, do you get over it? How do you keep going? Well, here are 10 things that have helped me:
- CRY IT OUT! You read it right. CRY IT OUT. You know that pit is there. So, do what you have to. Get mad, get angry, get on your knees, lay down, and CRY IT OUT. We spend so much time trying to “have it all together” that sometimes to forget..it’s okay to NOT be okay.
- Give yourself a pep-talk. This is crucial. After you wallow, self-loathe,;etc. YOU CANNOT STAY THERE. You have to focus on the center of your disappointment, what you expected, and why it is out of your control.
- What can you learn? I think this is important to me because I am SUCH an optimist. And with each and every opportunity, I ALWAYS see myself GETTING IT. I always venture into that hole in the ground to Wonderland. So, disappointment, for me, always leads me to learn to be more realistic…to be more practical…and sometimes PESSISMISTIC.
- Distract Yourself. Do what you gotta do to forget about it and move on. It’s done, over with, and in the past. And Rule No. 1: Don’t Live in the Past. Time to press on towards the future.
- Love Yourself. After all…self love is the best love, right? No matter what is the cause of this disappointment. Take a moment to love on yourself, love all of your flaws, and realize no matter what happens to you…you are purposeful, you are smart, you are beautiful, and you are light.